Thrift Store Books||The Surgeon by Tess Gerritsen


I live in Lithuania, so as you can probably imagine, majority of books here are in Lithuanian. English books I can only find in bookstores in bigger cities or I can buy online. But I prefer buying books in bookshops, so because I live near small town, the only place to find English books here are thrift stores.

Honestly, I prefer used books. I know, the way new books look, feel is amazing and scent of it is absolutely incredible. However, used book has a history. When you buy this kind of book, you buy not only story, but piece of someone's life as well. I don't mean it in any creepy way, all I want to say is that someone spent time reading that book. It means that this book made that person think, or feel something. And the idea of having the same story in my hands, fascinates me so much!

I decided to start blog post series about my thrift store purchases and I want to show that good book doesn't always have to be brand new.


The Surgeon by Tess Gerritsen


The Surgeon (2001) is a crime novel by Tess Gerritsen, the first of the Maura Isles/Jane Rizzoli series (I feel very lucky that I was able to find first book). 
The story is about a killer who targets lone women, breaks into their apartament and performs terrifying acts of torture. His surgical skills lead police to suspect he is a physician.
When Homicide detective Thomas Moore and his partner Jane Rizzoli begin investigation they discover that doctor Catherine Cordell, who has mysterious past, is closely linked to killings.
Detectives with help of the doctor need to find out who is the killer.

The Surgeon is amazingly written medical thriller. All those torture acts are described with the smallest details. It looks terrifying but also,at the same, it's so informative that it makes story even more wonderful and interesting. 
Even though English is my second language, but this book was very easy to read and understand. I got into it extremely quickly and I also found it difficult to put down. This story kept me on the edge of my seat.

If someone of you are wondering, how author knows about all that medical information or where she got it, so actually she studied medicine. Despite the fact that Gerritsen worked as a doctor, she always wanted to write. And as we can see now she's doing what she always dreamed about.  It's amazing how much our lives can change.

If any of you're interested, there's Tv series based on these books about Isles and Rizzoli. I've seen only couple of episodes, so I can't say much, but I've read that it's quite different compared to the books.

My favourite quotes:

  • “The most intimate feeling people can share is neither love nor hate, but pain.” 
  • “That is exactly what I learned. That evil can be so ordinary.” 
  •  “Where we go depends on what we know, and what we know depends on where we go.” 

 If you haven't read it yet and you're a fan of crime and thriller novels, I highly recommend this book, you won't be disappointed.

Komentarai

Populiarūs šio tinklaraščio įrašai

My Life in Books||Tag

What Hides in Biography Books?

Lord of the Flies